Sunday, November 6, 2016
I find myself today, after goods and bads, remembering when, how and why it all started... This thing we call 'blogging'. That lost time of my life when I left life as I knew it behind and entered into my lost world... The world of being disabled... I didn't know what to do with myself. It felt as if time had suddenly stopped for me and I didn't know how to get beyond the depression and lack of feeling like I had a purpose or was needed...! Blogging changed that and inspired me.
Now, as I return to blogging, I have so much more to share than before. So much growth and knowledge. I've expanded my reach, particularly for reviews and giveaways.
I'll continue with earlier activities and add my biggest change... I am now the very PROUD MAWMAW to 17 month old, identical twin GRANDSONS! You'll see a lot of them! I will also continue my posts of charities, reviews, giveaways and more, just as I did before...
The sky is the limit!
I love comments and feedback so feel free to share with me.
Thank you for joining me... and WELCOME BACK to YUMMY! YUMMY! YUMMY!
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
I'm a huge fan of these battery powered tea lights. They're so versatile, I can use them for tons of things. I make craft projects for the holidays and these tea lights are a perfect addition to them. It adds that extra something special to my projects.
I've used them for power outages. They're just right for the bathroom or you can use several for larger rooms.
They're perfect for people with children, too. You can get the look candles without worrying about the kids touching them, accidentally knocking them over or carrying them off to some place where they could cause a fire or injury.
It's just perfect to be able to have the ambience without problems or concerns. No burns, spilled wax, fires.... just soothing light.
I'm so glad I had the opportunity to review these. Can never have enough of them.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
1. Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face.
2. Eye cream – apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags, and wrinkles. Use on the lids in the evening.
3. Preshave – coconut oil will prep skin for the pending damage caused by shaving.
4. Aftershave – coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving without clogging pores.
5. Deodorant – coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda!
6. Hair Conditioner/Deep Treatment – use as a leave in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest! For a deeper treatment, rub in a tablespoon of coconut oil onto your dry scalp and gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bed linens and leave on overnight.
7. Hair Gel/Defrizzer – rub a little between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair).
8. Toothpaste – there are numerous recipes out there but I just mix coconut oil and baking soda and dab a little of the mix on my toothbrush.
9. Make up remover – use a cotton swab and a dab of coconut oil and you would be amazed at how well it works!
10. Chapstick – just rub a little into lips and it not only acts as a softening agent but it also has an SPF of about 4 so you get a little protection!
11. Massage Oil – pretty simple; grab some and rub!
12. Lubricant – it is an all natural, perfectly safe personal lubricant. Not compatible with latex!
13. Sunscreen – see my post on natural sunscreen for more detailed information.
14. Stretch Mark Cream – coconut oil is great at nourishing damaged skin. It may not be the magic stretch mark cure but it will help.
15. Nipple Cream – works great to nourish cracked, sore, or dry nipples. Apply to a cotton ball and leave on your nipples between feedings.
16. Diaper salve – very comforting on a rashy bum with no harsh chemicals. Also safe for cloth diapers.
17. Cradle cap – having issues with dry skin on your baby’s scalp? Coconut oil will not only nourish your baby’s skin, it also helps eliminate cradle cap. Just rub a teaspoon onto scalp daily.
18. Body scrub – mix coconut oil and sugar together and rub all over! Rinse off and your skin will be super soft! You can add in essential oils if you would like a specific smell.
19. Healing – when applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues. Plus, it smells a heck-of-a-lot better than anything from the pharmacy.
20. Bug Bites – when applied directly to a bug bite, coconut oil can stop the itching and burning sensation as well as hasten the healing process.
21. Skin problems – coconut oil relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
22. Swimmers Ear – mix garlic oil and coconut oil and put a few drops in affected ear for about 10 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day and it usually works within one or two days.
General Health and Wellness
23. Stress Relief – relieve mental fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head in a circular, massaging motion. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level.
24. Digestion – the saturated fats in coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties that help control, parasites, and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, making you healthier all around.
25. Fitness – coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat, while increasing muscle.
26. Nose bleeds – coconut oil can prevent nose bleeding that is caused by sensitivity to weather such as extreme hotness and extreme coldness. This condition happens when the nasal passages become dry because of cold or dry air resulting to burns and cracks in the mucus membranes so bleeding happens. To prevent this just put coconut oil in you nostrils. Coat your finger with coconut oil and then lie down and coat your finger inside your nose. Doing this will strengthen and protect the capillaries in the nasal passages. A Vitamin C supplement will also help prevent nose bleeding.
27. For breastfeeding moms, consuming 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily will enrich your milk supply.
28. Helps with weight loss & controlling cravings.
29. Helps keep blood sugar levels stable and/or helps with cravings in those with diabetes.
Health Problems: that coconut oil is known for aiding, relieving, or even curing when taken internally
30. Eczema – in addition to taking it internally, many have success applying it externally, some don’t
31. Skin problems
32. Toenail fungus
33. Hot flashes
34. Bleeding hemorrhoids (can also be applied externally twice a day)
36. Head lice
37. Improvements in menstruation regarding pain/cramps and heavy blood flow
38. Migraines (with regular use)
42. Relieve gallbladder pain
43. Has helped some people improve symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland, results have shown subsequent thyroid blood tests becoming normal
44. Energy boost
45. Flaky, dry skin
46. May relieve acid reflux and indigestion when taken with each meal
47. Adrenal fatigue
49. H. pylori
50. Candida albicans
51. Asthma, even in children
53. Cholesterol – improves HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to HDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) ratio in people with high cholesterol
54. Chronic fatigue
55. Circulation/feeling cold all the time
56. Stronger immune system
57. Mental Clarity
59. Helps with inflammation in Crohns
60. Athletes foot
61. Back pain/sore muscles
62. Canker sores
65. Herpes (applied topically and taken internally)
66. Genital warts (through topical application over 6 weeks, and coconut oil enemas twice a day depending on the location of the warts)
67. Circumcision healing – although I am personally against circumcision, I have read that coconut oil is a really great healer for this.
68. Use 1 cup to 1 cup ratio when replacing other oils/butter in recipes with coconut oil.
69. Replacement for butter/lard/Crisco/PAM in it’s solid form – greasing pans, pie crusts, etc.
70. Replacement for various oils in liquid form – baking, cooking, sautéing, etc.
71. Nutritional supplement – melt and add to smoothies.
72. Insect repellent – mix coconut oil with peppermint oil extract and rub it all over exposed skin. Keeps insects off better than anything with Deet! Tons safer too.
73. Great for dogs and cats for general wellness. Just add a teaspoon to their water bowl daily.
74. Goo Gone – just mix equal parts coconut oil and baking soda into a paste. Apply to the “sticky” area and let it set for a minute. Then scrub off with an old toothbrush or the scrubby side of a sponge.
75. Chewing Gum in Hair Remover – just rub some coconut oil over the stuck chewing gum, leave in for about 30 minutes, then roll the gum between your fingertip. Voila! It’s out!
76. Polish Furniture – coconut oil with a little bit of lemon juice to polish wood furniture. However, I recommend you test it first on a very small, unobtrusive part of your furniture to make sure it works the way you’d like.
77. Polishing Bronze – all you have to do is rub a little oil into a cotton towel and then wipe down the statue. It cleans and helps deepen the color of your bronze.
78. Seasoning animal hide drums
79. Seasoning cookware
80. Moisturizing and cleaning leather products
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Thursday, September 12, 2013
I'm a big fan of mushrooms and enjoy using them in a variety of meals. I enjoy putting together a vegetable medley of mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, yellow squash and zucchini for a quick side dish. I make a fantastic chicken sandwich with sauteed mushrooms, onions and cheese.. almost like a philly steak and cheese but with chicken. Of course, spaghetti isn't spaghetti without a sauce loaded with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes... all hot and simmering on the stove top! Nearly everything I fix, I can throw in mushrooms for extra flavor and texture. Matter of fact, just tonight, I enjoyed a mushroom and olive pizza that was wonderful.
Not only do they taste fantastic but they're really good for you! So, what's your favorite mushroom medley?
This campaign is brought to you by the One2One Network. As a member, I work with One2One Network to bring you quality content from brands we know and trust.
Sunday, September 1, 2013
NOTE: YOU must ASK for your discount !
Applebee's: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)
Arby's: 10% off ( 55 +)
Ben & Jerry's: 10% off (60+)
Bennigan's: discount varies by location (60+)
Bob's Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)
Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
Burger King: 10% off (60+)
Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee ( 55+)
Chili's: 10% off ( 55+)
CiCi's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
Denny's: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members ( 55 +)
Dunkin' Donuts: 10% off or free coffee ( 55+)
Einstein's Bagels: 10% off baker's dozen of bagels (60+)
Fuddrucker's: 10% off any senior platter ( 55+)
Gatti's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
Hardee's: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
IHOP: 10% off ( 55+)
Jack in the Box: up to 20% off ( 55+)
KFC: free small drink with any meal ( 55+)
Krispy Kreme: 10% off ( 50+)
Long John Silver's: various discounts at locations ( 55+)
McDonald's: discounts on coffee everyday ( 55+)
Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)
Shoney's: 10% off
Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
Steak 'n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday ( 50+)
Subway: 10% off (60+)
Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (62+)
Taco Bell : 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
TCBY: 10% off ( 55+)
Tea Room Cafe: 10% off ( 50+)
Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
Wendy's: 10% off ( 55 +)
Whataburger: 10% off (62+)
White Castle: 10% off (62+) This is for me ... if I ever see one again.
RETAIL & APPAREL :
Banana Republic: 30% off ( 50 +)
Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month ( 50 +)
Belk's: 15% off first Tuesday of every month ( 55 +)
Big Lots: 30% off
Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days ( 55 +)
C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (50+)
Clarks : 10% off (62+)
Dress Barn: 20% off ( 55+)
Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Kmart: 40% off (Wednesdays only) ( 50+)
Kohl's: 15% off (60+)Modell's Sporting Goods: 30% off
Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions
Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday ( 55+)
The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off ( 55+)
Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month ( 55 +)
Albertson's: 10% off first Wednesday of each month ( 55 +)
American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday ( 50 +)
Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)
Food Lion: 60% off every Monday (60+)
Fry's Supermarket: free Fry's VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday ( 55 +)
Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)
Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)
Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday ( 50 +)
Publix: 15% off every Wednesday ( 55 +)
Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)
Uncle Guiseppe's Marketplace: 15% off (62+)
Alaska Airlines: 50% off (65+)
American Airlines: various discounts for 50% off non-peak periods (Tuesdays - Thursdays) (62+)and up (call before booking for discount)
Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations
Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
Amtrak: 15% off (62+)
Greyhound: 15% off (62+)
Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50+
Alamo Car Rental: up to 25% off for AARP members
Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members
Budget Rental Cars: 40% off; up to 50% off for AARP members ( 50+)
Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off ( 50+) Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members Hertz: up to 25% off for AARP members
National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members
Holiday Inn: 20-40% off depending on location (62+)
Best Western: 40% off (55+)
Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
Waldorf Astoria - NYC $5,000 off nightly rate for Presidential Suite (55 +)
Clarion Motels: 20%-30% off (60+)
Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
Econo Lodge: 40% off (60+)
Hampton Inns & Suites: 40% off when booked 72 hours in advance
Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)
InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)
Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler's Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)
Marriott Hotels: 25% off (62+)
Motel 6: Stay Free Sunday nights (60+)
Myrtle Beach Resort: 30% off ( 55 +)
Quality Inn: 40%-50% off (60+)
Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
Sleep Inn: 40% off (60+)
ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT :
AMC Theaters: up to 30% off ( 55 +)
Bally Total Fitness: $100 off memberships (62+)
Busch Gardens Tampa, FL: $13 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)
Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)
Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off
Massage Envy - NYC 20% off all "Happy Endings" (62 +)
U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)
Regal Cinemas: 50% off Ripley's Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket ( 55 +)
SeaWorld, Orlando , FL : $3 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)
CELL PHONE DISCOUNTS :
AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $19.99/month (65+)
Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service ( 50 +)
Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+).
Great Clips: $8 off hair cuts (60+)
Supercuts: $8 off haircuts (60+)
NOW, go out there and claim your discounts - - and remember -- YOU must ASK for discount ---- no ask, no discount.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Adding a little Bloglovin' to my page... gotta claim it! Lol!
Thanks. Got goodies coming so don't miss them!
Monday, April 22, 2013
Finally, kids do come with instructions!
Surprisingly simple steps to boost your little child's sleep fast!
Dr. Harvey Karp made doctors applaud and parents cheer with his brilliant solutions to centuries-old problems such as colic and tantrums. Now, in THE HAPPIEST BABY GUIDE TO GREAT SLEEP: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years (William Morrow Paperback; On-Sale: March 19, 2013; $15.99; ISBN: 9780062113320), Dr. Karp stuns the world again by solving the #1 problem plaguing new parents: exhaustion.
Dr. Karp's surprising insights include:
How to train brand new babies to sleep better: Infants can be taught to sleep at least one extra hour from the first weeks of life! Dr. Karp shows how to safely boost baby sleep in just days.
What’s the best white noise (and which ones worsen sleep): The right white noise (low pitched and rumbling) is the key to good sleep—even through teething—for all babies. Plus, it even gives parents a more restful sleep
Why parents should always wake a sleeping baby: For good sleep, babies must learn how to self-soothe. The best way to teach babies how to fall back to sleep—when they rouse in the middle of the night—is to wake them just as they’re being put into bed.
How to enjoy the benefits - and avoid the risks - of swaddling: Swaddling dramatically improves a new baby’s sleep. Yet, many states are shockingly banning this ancient parenting tool. Smart moms should do it and Dr. Karp will teach them how to do it properly and safely.
The importance of powering down: Staring at bright screens at night (TVs, computers, phones) can wreak a toddler and a parent’s sleep.
Easy "no-cry" tips that end infant and toddler bedtime struggles in just days!
With THE HAPPIEST BABY GUIDE TO GREAT SLEEP, no longer will new parent have to suffer months of sleep deprivation and no longer will babies have to cry themselves to sleep. Backed by compelling science, common sense and decades of experience, Dr. Karp’s landmark guide will revolutionize how millions of children drift off to dreamland.
Where was Dr. Karp when I was raising my Son? As a first time Mom and single parent since my Son was 2 (20 years ago), I learned quickly that children, especially babies, do not come with instructions. Nor do they stick to any particular guidelines that we think should be inbred into them. I mean, Lord help us, baby is here... NOW WHAT?
I think most parents learn to rely somewhat on advice from their parents and other family and friends who were blessed with their bundle of joy before us, while others, who may not have those connections, just have to take it day by day.
I was thrilled to receive Dr. Karp's book. It is full of so much quality information, ideas and solutions... I was just amazed. Many items seemed so simple, such as swaddling. But, for new parents, they may not understand that baby needs that extra security and comfort. Dr. Karp calls swaddling the 'cornerstone' of calming and sleep. Stating that it "keeps babies from waking with every twitch and startle." Adding also that "swaddling helps them sleep longer and safer." Dr. Karp also goes step by step in describing how to swaddle.
Going through this book, you'll find step by step instructions on many other tried and true solutions for helping your little one to sleep. He's very detailed and explains things in a manner that anyone can understand. His book begins with explaining the sleep process, the stages of sleep and why sleep is so important to all of us. Dr. Karp then has chapters broken down into age groups and he discusses the main sleep issues for each, so that you can progress as your child grows. He shares ideas that begin early in the day and lead up to bedtime, things to look for, things to avoid and steps to lead to that better sleep pattern.
It's very important that I mention Dr. Karp's discussion on safety. He explains the do's and don'ts of shared sleeping, preventing SIDS and other sleep complications. Also, at the back of the book, he includes information for babies and children that may suffer from medical problems and how to deal with those situations.
I could go on and on about this book. It's just so full of great information. I'm really excited about passing this book to my Nephew and his wife. They're a young couple who's expecting their first child in August. I think this will be a great asset for them as new, first time parents. They'll get a bit of a head start on making baby and parents happy, healthy sleepers.
I strongly recommend Dr. Karp's "The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep" to all parents-to-be, parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents... anyone dealing with baby and young child's sleep. I'd also recommend checking into his other books: The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Happiest Toddler on the Block.
About the Author
Dr. Harvey Karp is a nationally renowned pediatrician, child development specialist and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the USC School of Medicine. He completed medical school training at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in NYC, pediatric residency at Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles and fellowships in ambulatory pediatrics and child development at UCLA. In pediatric practice, for almost 30 years, Dr. Karp has taught thousands of parents, from working moms to superstars like Madonna, Michelle Pfeiffer and Pierce Brosnan his secrets for soothing colic, boosting infant sleep, reducing tantrums, promoting patience and …making parents and children happy.
You can find out more about Dr. Karp, his books, DVDs, and other helpful information by going to The Happiest Baby website.
Please, do yourself and others a favor and provide them this or other book selections from Dr. Karp. Not only can it explain and help with many issues of baby and child, but, in my opinion, it'll make a difference in a child and parent's life that will have a positive impact on all of you for years to come.
I am participating in a book review campaign with One2One Network. I received this book from Harper Collins for the purposes of reviewing it. I have not received compensation. My participation in the campaign enters me into a drawing for a gift card. All opinions stated are my own.
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Contessa World Cuisine is a line of delicious frozen skillet meals, ready in ten minutes and made with high quality and wholesome ingredients, with no msg, no trans-fat, no artificial colors or flavors, no preservatives and even multiple Gluten-Free (GF) options. The meals come with individually packaged sauce packets to allow for freshness, recipe variation and special dietary needs.
What makes Contessa meals different?
- 18 unique, world cuisine-inspired flavors
- Simple to prepare in ten minutes at home
- No msg
- No trans-fat
- No artificial colors or flavors
- No preservatives
- Minimally processed
- Multiple gluten-free options
- Individually packaged sauce packets to allow for freshness, recipe variation and special dietary needs
I received four varieties to try at home: Sesame Chicken, Italian Sausage Rigatoni, Shrimp Alfredo and Beef Mongolian. I was surprised that each was very well seasoned and quite flavorful which, I think most of us know, is not always the case when you purchase prepackaged, frozen meals. These meals taste fresh. The ingredients are similar to what we would use to cook with: normal size cuts of meat, pastas, vegetables and other ingredients. The sauces taste good and there's enough to cover the meal. I do sometimes add more sauce or vegetables but not because they're needed, just because I wanted more vegetables or I want to stretch the meal just a little further.
Most days, it's just me at home so these meals are a good size, without needing sides and I can generally have enough for my lunch the next day. This works great for me! Besides the obvious of getting to skip cooking... with me being disabled from a neurological disorder, there are days when I just don't feel well and something as simple as cooking can be painful or even awkward when I'm dealing with tremors. They give me a chance to have a healthier choice for lunch or dinner, regardless of how I'm feeling, because they are fast and easy to put together. And, with the individually packaged sauces, I can even separate the meals into two individual servings and add a side of vegetables or maybe a bread to my meal.
We all like to have a selection when choosing our meals. There's nothing like going to the store and not being able to find what you're looking for or you find a brand you like but they limit your options to maybe one or two dishes. Not with Contessa, that's for sure. Contessa World Cuisine brings the flair of authentic international flavors to 18 meal varieties representing cultures from around the world, including Asian, Italian and Latin, as well as, various seafood dishes. These include:
Chicken Chow Mein
Chicken Friend Rice (GF)
Italian Sausage Rigatoni
Shrimp Alfredo (New)
Shrimp Fried Rice (New/GF)
Shrimp Scampi and Linguini Chicken
Vodka Chicken Penne
Contessa World Cuisine skillet meals for two are available in the frozen meals section at retailers nationwide including Wal-Mart, Meijer, Publix, Food Lion, Giant Eagle, Schnuck's, Hannaford Bros. and others. Depending on the retailer, you will find them for around $7.99 - $8.99
Now, for the best part, Contessa World Cuisine would like to give you an opportunity to try their meals for yourself. I will be giving four people 2 coupons, each for $2.00 off their purchase of Contessa World Cusine frozen skillet meals.
The entries are simple and easy. Just follow the instructions on the Rafflecopter form. Giveaway will begin at 12:01am on 1/31/20123 CST and end at midnight CST on 2/17/2013. Thank you and Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
UNREAL™ exists because a thirteen year old boy asked one Halloween why candy needs to be so unhealthy. After an argument with his father, he did a bit of research only to find that candy is filled with bad things like hydrogenated oils and artificial colors and flavors. And what’s worse, he found out that those ingredients don’t make candy taste better, they simply make it cheaper to produce.
Nicky believed that candy without the junk could be made and that it would taste better. And he and his father and brother decided to prove it.
And they did.
UNREAL™ provides many of the great flavor combinations we love in our treats, but without the corn syrup, without the partially hydrogenated oils, without the GMOs, without the artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, and with 40% less sugar per serving on average. The key ingredients are responsibly sourced, and the candy is available in the stores we all shop, at a price point we can all afford.
UNREAL uses real cane sugar, real milk, more cacao and more protein and fiber. This leaves you with a great tasting, unjunked candy that you can feel good about giving your kids... or yourself.
Now, I know you're asking, "But how do they really taste?". Right? As part of the review process, I invited over friends and family for a little gathering and taste test. What did they have to say?
"Much better than I was expecting."
"I love the peanut butter cups." (Actually heard this quite a bit. They seemed to be the favorite.)
"Definitely have a different taste but you get used to it."
"That's really different."
Everyone had their favorites. Again, the peanut butter cups seemed to be the most liked. Definitely my favorite. There was a little hesitation and uncertainty, at first. With some of the candies, they weren't as happy with the flavor of the sweetening but most either ended up liking it after a few tastes or liked certain candies over others.
It seemed, overall, they all agreed that their children would approve. Most importantly, the parents were approving! Who can argue with UNREAL's "treats, but without the corn syrup, without the partially hydrogenated oils, without the GMOs, without the artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, and with 40% less sugar per serving on average"?
For me, I'll be purchasing these for my Halloween but I'll also be using them for birthday parties and definitely in the stockings this Christmas.
UNREAL is available as Peanut Butter Cups, Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bars, Chocolate Peanut Caramel Nougat Bars, Candy Coated Chocolates and Candy Coated Chocolates with Peanuts. They're similar to other candies on the market.
Find UNREAL candies at Target, CVS, Kroger, Fred Meyers, BJs, Staples.. 30,000+ UNJUNKED stores coming soon.
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Saturday, November 26, 2011
I just love milk, don't you? I especially like drinking milk when it's really cold. But, there's one thing that's nearly as good as drinking milk.... drinking FREE MILK! Oh, yes! Let me tell you how:
Go to your local Kroger or one of the Kroger Company Family of Stores by closing on November 26th. (Promotion varies in different locations. Please be sure to check your local Kroger Co. Family of Stores for specific deals and offers which include Kroger, Ralphs, King Scoopers, City Market, Dillons, Smith´s, Fry´s, QFC, Baker´s, Owen´s, Jay C Food Stores, Hilander, Gerbes, Food4Less, Fred Meyer, Pay Less Supermarkets and Scott´s Food & Pharmacy) Purchase any four participating General Mills products, and you will either receive free milk (up to $3; limit of 2) or receive $3 off your shopping order!
It's that easy! With my gift card, I stocked up on my favorite General Mills product: Honey Nut Cheerios! I eat them about every day. But, you can check with your local store and find their participating General Mills products.
Kroger Co. Family of Stores doesn't want to forget my readers! They want to give one of you a $25 GC to use at your choice of the Kroger Co. Family of Stores! Isn't that exciting? What better time of year to get a FREE gift card?!
I'm going to make it easy for you to enter. First, let me ask you to please complete the mandatory entry, that way you'll be eligible to get the extra entries as well. Make sure you leave a seperate comment for each entry. I will close the giveaway on Wednesday, November 30th, at 11:59 pm CST.
Leave a comment telling me which General Mills product(s) is your favorite to stock up on.
Follow Kroger on twitter: @KrogerCo - 2 entries
Follow Kroger on Facebook - 2 entries
Be a public follower of my blog - 1 entry
Subscribe to my email updates - 5 entries (Make sure you confirm subscription)
Follow me on twitter: @SereneMoments
Thank you for entering and GOOD LUCK!
Disclosure:A gift card, included information, and giveaway have all been provided by Kroger brand through MyBlogSpark.
*Excludes General Mills meal and baking products including; Betty Crocker, Old El Paso, Progresso, Hamburger Helper, Macaroni Grill, Wanchai Ferry, Yoplait
**Promotion varies based on store location; check your local Kroger store for details (Cash Offer: Mid South, Delta, Mid Atlantic, SW Louisiana stores, Central Missouri stores and Dillons Missouri stores)
Saturday, September 24, 2011
The Sad Truth About Kids and Cancer
Monday, September 19, 2011ShareThis
“Kiwi had only been sick once; never on any sort of medication, not even Tylenol. All of that changed on Friday, July 31st, 2010 when we found ourselves in the Emergency Room because Kiwi’s left hand had begun to spasm periodically all that day. Our lives went from Kiwi never being in the hospital and only at the doctors once (but never on any medications), to being poked and prodded for hours in the ER. I had a very difficult time comprehending the next few days of my life. It started in the ER on a Friday night and moved slowly through the weekend, to an MRI on Sunday showing that my darling 22 month old daughter had a large tumor on the right side of her brain.” (Read the rest of Kiwi’s story.)
Your daughter has cancer.
They are words no parent ever wants to hear, yet the sad fact is that every sixty minutes, a child is diagnosed with cancer and every six hours, a child will lose her battle to cancer. Cases of pediatric cancer have increased 30% over the last 30 years, to the point that cancer is now the nation’s leading cause of death by disease in children.
Meanwhile, little action is being taken to prevent exposures to carcinogens, the substances which are proven to cause cancer. Even dioxin, the single most potent carcinogen identified by scientists, is still not being addressed in the United States. Dioxin has been targeted for international phase-out by a treaty signed by over 170 nations across the world—but not us.
The Environmental Protection Agency is supposedly on the verge of taking action, but the way things are going in Washington, I’m not holding my breath.
According to the Center for Health, Environment, and Justice, “For over 20 years, EPA’s study on dioxin has been delayed time after time. American families have been exposed to this poisonous chemical for far too long. Every American eats dioxins when they consume fatty foods, and every American has measurable levels of this chemical in their body.”
And, dioxin is just one of 240 substances currently recognized as “reasonably anticipated to cause cancer” by a report released in June by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
At Healthy Child Healthy World, we believe it’s well beyond time to put our collective foot down and take aggressive action to prevent cancer. Throughout 2012, which is the 20th anniversary of our organization, we’ll be turning up the volume on this increasingly common—and tragic—issue.
Healthy Child began after five-year-old Colette Chuda died of a rare form of non-hereditary cancer linked to environmental factors; her parents, Jim and Nancy Chuda, turned their grief into action and formed Healthy Child Healthy World (formerly the Children’s Health Environmental Coalition) in 1992.
It's been 20 years and we've seen little change. Now, we're ready for a revolution.
We're inspired by the 46 mothers from across the country who will gather in Washington DC this week to shave their heads to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer research. By shaving their heads in solidarity with not only their children who have been diagnosed with cancer, but every child affected by cancer, the 46 Mommas hope to raise $1 million. (To locate ororganize an event in your community, sign-up to shave, donate or volunteer, visit www.StBaldricks.org.) Here’s a video from last year’s Shave for the Brave event in Los Angeles.
To the 46 Mommas: We are humbled by your action, and honor your commitment.
To mothers everywhere: It’s time to stand up, get mad, and stop pediatric cancer in its tracks. Please join us in this fight, as we gear up for 2012.
Together, we can create a better world.
Read more: http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/the_sad_truth_about_kids_and_cancer/#ixzz1YqQTr8Bv